Most surfers today at least thought about having their own web site. After finishing your site you may start looking for good free hosting. But is there a catch with the free web page hosting providers?
Generally speaking nothing is free. Just think about how do free hosting providers stay in business? They certainly have costs, such as for servers, bandwidth, server software and all this with no income? The answer to this is advertising, as they place ads on your site and usually have a tracking software to decide if the traffic on your site click on their ads and generate income or not. If your web site does not turn out to be profitable, you may easily loose it. Those that do not place ads may be stealing your traffic, or just decide to close your site and host their own web page.
Some of the other negative things associated with free hosting are:
• Scripts such as PHP, CGI or Perl are usually disabled.
• They give you very limited disk space and limited bandwidth.
• You may not have access to useful tools such as site builder, ecommerce or add-on scripts that paid providers offer for free.
• You will not have an email address associated with your domain name.
• A free hosts can change their terms of service without any warning.
• Most of them can not afford to offer 24/7 technical support.
• Few free web hosts offer a control panel with their plans.
With a pay host you eliminate all these inconveniences for a very small monthly fee. But even this fee may be too much if you just want to host a simple page full of information for your friends. In that case free hosting is right for you. However if you plan to have a serious site, especially for a small business, then you may need tools like PHP, CGI, ASP.NET, ecommerce support, larger bandwidth, and we definitively recommend getting paid hosting service from one of reputable companies.